The Young Flute Player - BOOK 1 (digital)
Here’s a method book for beginners, with everything you need to start playing the flute! The Young Flute Player has a clear layout, easy-to-read notation and cartoon pictures - perfect for beginners.
There is a wide range of music by composers such as Bach, Brahms, Beethoven, Offenbach, Mozart, plus traditional tunes from around the world, and a section of festive music.
To help young players practise, there are FREE YOUTUBE recordings for every piece, as well piano backing tracksand duet recordings.
The progressive units introduce new material gradually, and the exercises and scales are directly related to the pieces.
In addition to pieces, exercises, studies and recordings, The Young Flute Player also features:
- Easy-to-read fingering chartsfor every note of the flute
- Photo guides for assembling the flute and cleaning the flute
- Manuscript paper
- Practice charts
- Scales chart
- Theory reference section
- Note recognition games and composition activities
- Beginner-Preparatory level (suggested age 6 years and above)
- 68 pages
- 41 exercises (including tone development) and studies
- 38 pieces
- Time signatures 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, C, introduction of 6/8
- Pitch range from E bottom line of staff to A above staff
- Scales – 5 note F Major, 5 note G Major, octave G major, F major, E minor, D minor, F chromatic
- Introduction of tonguing, slurs, ties, staccato, mezzo staccato
Karen has enjoyed teaching flute and class music for over 35 years. Karen has a Master of Music Degree (UNSW), a B.A. Honours Music Degree (USYD) and a Graduate Diploma in Education (Music, STC). Karen started work as a professional orchestral conductor, but then discovered her passion for teaching. She was Director of Music at Sydney Grammar (Edgecliff) School and has also worked in government schools at primary and secondary level. Karen loves the openness and energy of #littleflutes, and believes that getting off to the right start is essential. She has written a series of method and ensemble books for children called The Young Flute Player, as well as a method book especially for adult and teenage learners. Karen enjoys coming up with new ideas to make lessons fun for her young students, and she gets as excited as the children when there is a new game to play! Karen’s favourite colour is blue and she likes homemade chocolate chip cookies, although melting moments with lemon icing come a close second. In her “spare” time, Karen edits two newsletters and gives workshops for teachers in Australia and overseas. To learn more, please visit her website www.theyoungfluteplayer.com